|Prep time||20 minutes|
|Cooking time||25 minutes|
This is a sausage roll recipe that can be mixed up with different fillings depending on what you like. I've done it with straight-up sausagemeat filling, and with a turkey and cranberry stuffing for Christmas. I use the flaky pastry recipe for this, so you'll need that prepared in advance. The recipe below is for a variety using sausagemeat and bacon.
- 1 block flaky pastry
- 200g sausage meat
- 6 slices streaky bacon
- 1 small onion
- 2 tbsp chopped sage leaves
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 210℃. Finely chop the onion and sage leaves, and finely slice the bacon. Beat the egg in a small bowl.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sausage meat, bacon, onion, sage, and season with salt and pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the pastry out into a rectangle of about 20x30cm. Slice into two portions lengthwise to leave you with two rectangles on 30x10cm.
- Spread half of the sausage meat mixture into a thin roll along the center of one of the pastry rectangles, spreading it out evenly. Brush some beaten egg along one edge, then fold the pastry and seal it carefully, keeping the filling wrapped up tight. Roll over so the seam is on the bottom, then press it a little to flatten it out. Repeat for the second piece of pastry.
- Use a sharp knife to cut each roll into six or more sausage rolls, depending on the size you want. Brush with the beaten egg and then slice into the pastry on top – don't go all the way through the pastry.
- Place sausage rolls on teh baking sheet and bake for 20–25 minutes, until golden brown. Remove and cool on a wire rack.