|Prep time||15 minutes|
|Cooking time||30 minutes (plus soaking time)|
Thi sis a vegan risotto recipe. It doesn't have quite the same creaminess as one loaded with cheese, but the pickled mushrooms are great.
- 75ml apple cider vinegar
- 50g sugar
- 50g mixed wild mushrooms
- 20g dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 sticks celery
- 150g chestnut mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic
- 300g risotto rice
- 150ml white wine
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 1 lemon
- 15g parsley
- Place the porcini in a bowl and cover with 600ml of boiling water, then set aside to soak.
- Prepare the pickle by tearing the wild mushrooms into bite-sized pieces and placing into a bowl. Heat the vinegar and sugar in a small pan until everything has dissolved, the pour over the mushrooms and set aside while you finish the risotto.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Finely the onion and celery, then add to the pan. cook gently for about 10 minutes until soft but not browned.
- Add the chestnut mushrooms to the pan and fry for about 10 minutes, until the mushrooms have dried out and are starting to turn golden brown.
- Strain the porcini soaking liquid into a jug and add the vegetable stock. Chop the rehydrated porcini and set aside.
- Stir the garlic and rice into the pan and fry for a couple of minuutes until it starts going transparent around the edges. Add the wine and allow to cook down for a minute, then start adding the stock mixture. Add a ladleful at a time, allowing each addition to be absorbed before adding the next.
- When all the stock has been added, check the risotto and add an extra splash of hot water and cook for a couple of minutes if required – the rice should be tender.
- Add the zest and juice of the lemon, along with the chopped porcini. Chop the parsley and add as well. Cover, remove from the heat and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Drain the pickled mushrooms and serve on top of the risotto.