|Prep time||90 minutes|
|Cooking time||20 minutes|
This is a cinnamon-roll style loaf that looks and smells amazing.
For the bread
- 280g plain white flour
- 180ml warm milk (40℃)
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 15g sugar
- 7g active dry yeast
- 30g melted butter
- 1 egg yolk
For the filling
- 50g softened butter
- 75g sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ground almonds
- In a mixing bowl, combine the yeast with the sugar and milk, and stir until combined. Add the egg yolk and melted butter.
- In another, large bowl, mix the flour and salt, then pour over the milk mixture. Mix together, then start kneading until it pulls together. Shape the dough into a ball, then place into a clean, oiled bowl to rest. Leave for 1 hour in a warm place, until roughly doubled in size.
- While rising, mix the softened butter with the sugar and cinnamon, then set to one side.
- Preheat the oven to 200℃. Line a large baking sheet with baking paper. On a floured surface, roll the dough to a rectangle about 45cm x 30cm.
- Spread the cinnamon filling evenly over the top of the dough, reserving a tablespoon for later. Leave a 1-2cm area clear around the edges. Sprinkle over the ground almonds, then roll the doll into a spiral tube with the filling on the inside.
- Slice the rolled dough in half lengthwise, leaving about 1-2cm uncut at one end so that the dough forms a "V" shape. Braid the two legs together, keeping the layers exposed to the top. Pinch the ends together and wrap underneath to form a wreath shape.
- Transfer the bread to the prepared baking sheet. Brush with the remaining cinnamon filling, then bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. For the last 10 minutes reduce the oven temperature to 180℃. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.