|Prep time||20 minutes plus cooling time|
|Cooking time||20 minutes|
Useful with leftover rice or chicken. Important is to make sure the rice is cool before cooking – it won't work with freshly-cooked rice and you'll end up with a mushy mess.
You can also omit the chicken, or throw in other ingredients like prawns or ham.
- Wok or large skillet
- 250g long-grain white rice
- 500g chicken thigh fillets
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 onion
- 150g frozen peas
- 150g frozen carrots
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 eggs
- 4 spring onions, choppeds
- First, cook the rice and set aside to cool.
- Chop the chicken into small chunks. Heat the vegetable oil in the wok, and add the chicken along with 1tbsp of the soy sauce. Toss regularly until cooked through and golden brown.
- Remove the chicken and set aside. Chop the onions, then add the sesame oil to the pan, followed by the onion, peas and carrots. Toss until tender and starting to take on color.
- Manoeuver the vegetables to one side of the wok, then beat the eggs together and pour in. Allow the eggs to cook briefly then scramble them; toss through the vegetables once cooked.
- Return the chicken to the pan the add the rice on top, along with the rest of the soy sauce. Stir fry for a few minutes until heated through and starting to take on colour. Add the spring onions and combine, then serve.