|Prep time||30 minutes|
|Cooking time||35 minutes|
A basic paella recipe with chicken thighs and chorizo, along with a cheat's aioli sauce that's just mayo and garlic.
You can also add some prawns to this recipe – fry them with a little garlic after the chicken, set aside, and return them later along with the chicken.
- Large frying pan or paella pan
- Aluminium foil
For the paella
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 200g cooking chorizo
- 300g paella rice
- 1 onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 90ml olive oil
- 2 tomatoes, larges
- 3 roasted red peppers
- 3 tbsp chopped flatleaf parsely
- 1000ml chicken stock
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 lemon
For the galic mayo
- 90ml mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic
- 0.5 lemons lemon juice
- Prepare the vegetables - finely chop the onions, crush the garlic, and chop the tomatoes and peppers.
- Place the stock in a small pan along with the saffron and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Chop the chorizo into chunks, and chop each chicken thigh into 3 pieces
- Heat half of the oil over a medium high heat in the paella pan. Salt and pepper the chicken, then fry in batches until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Turn down the heat, then add the rest of the oil to the pan, followed by the onion and the garlic. Cook gently for about 10 minutes until soft but not coloured.
- Add the chorizo and cook for around 5 minutes until soft and broken down. Add the tomatoes and cook for about 3 minutes, until a tick paste is formed.
- Add the rice, and stir for about 1 minute until everything is evenly coated.
- Pour in the saffron and stock, stir to combine, then return the chicken and any juices to the pan. Turn up the heat a little to medium-low, and then simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes without stirring. When done, the rice should be cooked but not mushy, and the bottom of the pan should be sticky.
- Mix the peppers and parsley into the rice, then cover tightly with foil and leave for 5 minutes to warm through.
- Meanwhile, mix the mayonnaise, garlic, and lemon juice to make a quick cheat's aioli.
- After the paella is warned through, serve with lemon wedges and the garlic mayo